Florida is one of the boating capitals of the nation and after putting up big bucks for insurance, it can often be a sobering reminder of whose side they’re on when you need to make a claim. Not only can it be difficult to get progress on a claim with their tendency to delay time and time again, but it can also be extremely frustrating to only get a minimum, a lowball offer that may not even cover your expenses. That is why it’s best to work with a South Florida boat accident attorney.
How Do Accidents Happen On Boats?
There are a large number of things that can cause accidents on a boat, and they become much more serious once you are out at sea. Some accidents are the fault of the boat’s operator, and some fall outside their control. Some of the most common accidents according to the US Coast Guard include:
- Lack Of Attention: Distraction is a huge cause of boating accidents, just like driving. Unfortunately, there are boat operators who do not feel the need to pay close attention while they are navigating, and they let their guard down. Times like this can be when disaster strikes.
- Lack Of Experience: When people learn to drive a car, other motorists are notified by the large “student driver” placard in the window. There are no such placards in the boating world, and every year there are many serious accidents that happen because there are people operating boats who do not have the proper training.
- Unsafe Operation: While most boats are built to handle a bit of speed, there are certain conditions where too much speed can be dangerous, particularly since speeding on the water is not really policed as it is on land. Each year, hundreds of collisions occur due to going too fast for the conditions, or not paying enough attention while underway at high speeds.
- Machinery Failure: Just like with your car, boats can have mechanical issues and need to be repaired. If your boat breaks down, whether because of neglect, misuse, or manufacturer defects, serious accidents can occur.
- Intoxication: One of the long standing causes of many boating accidents is boating while intoxicated. Every year hundreds are killed in accidents while operating boats under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It is irresponsible and extremely dangerous, and if officials catch an offender, they are punished, but again monitoring is harder than on land.
- Not Adhering To Navigation Rules And Conventions: Most boaters respect the rules of the water and do their best to keep themselves and others safe, but there are those who do not. Boaters who ignore shipping channels, navigational aids, speed signs, or ignore buoys, contribute to an unsafe situation that can result in injuries.
What LJ Law Group Can Do For You
If you find yourself involved in a boating accident in Florida, having an experienced attorney on your side can help protect you. When an accident happens, you can run into many issues, from damages to your boat to injuries to yourself or others. The professionals at LJ Law Group can help you if your boating accident insurance claim has to go to court. Contact us promptly.